Thursday, August 9, 2012

DIY RIM REFINISHING

I OFTEN GET ASKED ABOUT THE RIMS ON MY CARS.

MY FINISH IS SIMILAR IN APPEARANCE TO THE RSR LOOK





EXCEPT I ADDED A POLISHED LIP TO BE A BIT DIFFERENT.. 


THE ABOVE FUCHS ARE 15 8 X 9 THAT ARE CURRENTLY ON MY 76 US TURBO.


I HAVE REFINISHED 6-7 SETS IN VARIOUS SIZES OVER THE PAST 2 YEARS.

MY PROCESS IS FAIRLY SIMPLE, INEXPENSIVE &  QUICK TO DO..

HERE IT IS.

STEP 1

1-REMOVE PAINT OR POWDERCOATING WITH AIRCRAFT PAINT REMOVER.







THIS IS THE MESSY PART.


STEP 2.

SEND OUT TO POLISH THE OUTER LIP -THIS PART CAN BE SKIPPED IF YOU DO NOT WANT THE POLISHED LIP.


STEP 3.

COVER THE POLISHED LIP & SEND OUT TO HAVE THE RIM BEAD BLASTED..




STEP 4..

TAPE OF THE PETAL AREA USING 3M VINYL TAPE.


THIS PART CAN TAKE A LITTLE PRACTICE & TIME, COVER ALL AREAS THAT DO NOT GET PAINT-MAKE SURE THE TAPE DOES NOT "LIFT UP"...

STEP 5.

PRIME.

PAINT

CLEAR COAT..







i do not clear coat the polished lip....


STEP 6.

MOUNT STICKY BLACK RUBBER..

BALANCE TIRES.






STEP 7.

 INSTALL ON YOUR FAVORITE CAR.


STEP 8

GO FOR A DRIVE...











HOLDS UP WELL TO ABUSE..




naturally there are  many ways to achieve this look,

this just happens to be my preferred method. 

IT IS A REWARDING PROCESS..

hope this helps... 

5 comments:

  1. Hey Magnus, I am a follower on Pelican as well. I was wondering what type of primer, paints, and clear coat you use. The wheels look great!

    Thanks,
    Panos

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Magnus,

    Great write up! We use the same technique when We refinish Fuch's, and for a clear we have had really good luck with this stuff - http://www.eastwood.com/ew-diamond-clear-satin-for-bare-metal-quarts.html

    Its satin, designed for bare aluminum, goes on nicely, and holds up really well.

    Tom
    Rennline Inc.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Magnus, I use the following technique to achieve the petal look on my rims. I tape the inside surface of all holes with wide blue painter's tape making sure that the tape is stuck well and has no gaps. I also tape the outside petals to prevent accidental drips on the blasted area. Then I very slowly and carefully pour thinned black satin automotive paint with hardener into the wheel, up to the desired level, to form the petal. This gives a level painted area and the petals are uniform. Then with a large syringe I remove the excess paint, leaving as little as possible without disturbing the finish. I then poke through the tape and let the remaining paint drip through on a newspaper or basin. This may become quite messy but I soon got the hang of it and I now get very few runs. As soon as the paint starts to harden I remove all tapes to reveal the holes. After the paint has dried about 70-80% I scrape spillage edges from the holes with a blunt blade. You can now either put the wheel in your oven and slowly cure the paint (not your kitchen oven obviously since you will be eating black satin tasting roast for quite a while...) or let it dry al fresco. Finally I finish the hole edges with some wet and dry. This method is very similar to the original method Fuchs used to anodise. They dipped the wheels in a basin up to the correct level which is why they are black from that level down. Good luck if you try it.
    Odysseas from sunny Greece

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those rims are just drop-dead sexy to look at! The lip polish is so rad and I think it's the icing on the cake. It'll probably take a lot of messy work with the coating removal, abrasive polishing, and the tricky taping, but I think I can do this. Thanks for the the step by step instructions, I'll try to follow it as much as I can, and then I'll just wait for the compliments to roll in!

    Tim Rouze @ ProPowderSupply.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Craig Willows-Keetley shares the story of his journey to compete in the half Ironman length Challenge event in Phuket. Craig shares his training program, details of the race and lessons he learnt from the event. Hear his story about the Challenge event that’s a Challenge and a half!.
    TLR Carbon wheels

    ReplyDelete